Tuesday 17 March 2009

Russell's Interview with SFX

Russell T Davies is interviewed in this month’s issue of SFX. Inside the magazine, the executive producer talks about the four special episodes which will hit our screens, in stunning High-Definition, later this year and in early 2010.

Obviously, the thought on everybody’s mind is the last of the specials, which will include the Tenth Doctor’s demise. And Russell is keeping as tight-lipped as ever about what the most anticipated episode of the revived series so far will involve - but despite the pressure hanging over his head to make the story just right, he’s always known how the Tenth Doctor will pop his clogs!

“The details have changed - who’s where, and the geography of it. But yes, I always knew,” he told the magazine. ”There’s only one way to do it, really. It’s there in my head. If I could just put a wire into my head it would be on the paper now. Literally, stage direction by stage direction I know what happens. I think it’s going to be a brilliant piece of television.”

He added: “Let’s be honest, David is one of the hugest stars in the land, and his Doctor has been a massive figure for an entire generation. So it’s a piece of television history - you’ll have eight year olds remembering it just like we remember the regeneration’s forever. I love that, and I know exactly how to do it. I honestly think I’ve got it right. It’s everything that the Doctor should do - that the series should do. Oh god, I can’t wait to write it! I’ll be so happy!”

He goes on to mention the introduction of the Eleventh incarnation of the Time Lord, who will be played by Matt Smith. Having read Steven Moffat’s script for the first episode of Series 5, Russell promises that he has “a big, bold, brand new start” and that “it very much powers under its own steam”.

He also touches on the possibility of Matt Smith making a cameo appearance or two in this year’s specials, before his official arrival in the New Year… “Everyone knows where the story is heading, especially with Matt Smith being everywhere,” he teases. “It’s nice actually - we play with that.”

No comments: